REFLECTION

I want to be an envirodoc.

You may be wondering, “Daniel, what in the hell is an envirodoc?”

Now, I’m not surprised that you feel this way. Envirodoc is not a commonly used word, or even one that could be found in a dictionary. Why? Because it is my word, forged in the crucible of my vast intellect. And because it is my word, I will use my precious time to explain its meaning, how it came to be, and how it relates to my ambitions for my future in medicine.

First, the meaning. Envirodoc refers to a physician that is conscious of the role the natural environment plays in the human health condition, and tailor their diagnosis and treatment plans accordingly. For the record, I am not talking about the naturopathic “doctors”, charlatans who reject modern medical practices in favor of unscientific and many times harmful natural “cures”. I speak of a recognition of the effects of nature on health and crafting treatment plans that take these into account.

I started thinking about this concept when I began reading source materials for my research paper. The various books, articles, and papers that I reviewed presented scientifically sound reasoning for the positive effects green spaces have on mental and physical health. It was an idea that I had never particularly considered, but one I found particularly interesting. I am somewhat of an environmentalist myself, and while I knew that factors like air and water quality impacted human health, I never considered green space availability as part of that group.

As a physician, I want to keep this at the forefront of my mind. In hearing my patients’ stories, I will make sure to make a point of understanding the natural environment that they live in, which quality differs based on socioeconomic status. Understanding this would help me to become better informed about how significant a role nature plays in their health condition, and would allow me to modify their treatment plan in line with it.